Alpine Type S Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alpine Type S Speaker Upgrade

Well I finally did it!!! I replaced the four door speakers and rear deck speakers leaving the factory head and amp. I replaced the four door speakers with Alpine SPS-170A (35Hz-30KHz, 92db sensitivity) and the rears with Alpine SPS-690A (30Hz-30KHz, 92db sensitivity). To say that the sound is vastly improved is an understatement to say the least. Amazing improvement. The volume control must be turned up higher to achieve the same output volume, but, fully cranked...no distortion and actually quite loud.

While the original door speakers have very small magnets, it is important to note that they use powerful neodymium magnets (normally used in tweeters.) The main problem actually with the factory speakers is the ALL plastic basket construction...no rigidity to the speaker frame and also the absense of any tweeters at all. The rear 6x9's are more typical Pioneer but with a treated cloth surrounds.

It is a shame that the tweeters are not used in the rear deck with the new Alpine 6x9's due to the amps crossover; however, the bass is now deep and tight and I notice the rearview mirror really shakes at higher volumes with a program with decent bass content.

Because someone may ask, I used to listen to the stereo with the volume set around 15-20 for just casual listening. To achieve the same volume now requires a volume setting of 23-30. It is important to not that full volume is quite loud with the Alpines and quite clear with no audible clipping from the factory amp flat out (something I could not do with the stck speakers).

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Alpines as a good match to the factory amp and headunit. Even the FM seems much better.

http://iweb.alpine-usa.com:7777/pls/...in=10&p_more=y
http://iweb.alpine-usa.com:7777/pls/...in=10&p_more=y
The following users liked this post:
ibrian (05-01-2012)
Old 01-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Forgot to metion this. No cutting was required and the Alpine Magnets for the 6x9's clear the transverse springs in the trunk. Also, there is another post here (dave I think) who swapped out for JBL's. I listened to both and speakers are a matter of taste. The JBL's were really good too!!! The bottom line here is that truly significant performance and quality improvements can be attained with a simple speaker upgrade. Oh, I agree with Dave in that subs may not be needed depending on your tastes in music, and you neighbor's tastes as well. Enjoy!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 02:40 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

i so want to do this... problem is i like my stereo to be loud... i like the output of the stock speakers in terms of volume... i drive with my windows down alot (live in fL) and my stereo is normally at 35 or so and i'm loving the loudness... but I' dont like the quality... do you think replacing the speakers alone would solve this problem and still have it sound just as loud? (or at least as loud as the 35 on stock speakers?) Bottom line is i dont need it to be louder... i just need it to be JUST AS LOUD as stock... but clearer... and better sounding.... would u recommend going your route for my needs?
Old 01-19-2004, 07:15 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I upgrade the front and rear to a Type R or just upgrade and front and leave the rear 6X9 stock (problem with budget, 1 Type R component = Type S front and rear). Will it sound better than the Type S and will the stock amplifier has enough power? I just want clearer sound, don't need to be loud.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

tiny what is your budget?
Old 01-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Older. Wiser. Faster.

What impedance were the original speakers? Is it printed on the magnet? If the new speakers are significantly higher impedance, that may explain the lower volume, despite the high sensitivity specs. Many OEM speakers nowadays use low impedance speakers (1~2 ohms) because they need less power to get loud.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by SilverTSXinPA
Forgot to metion this. No cutting was required and the Alpine Magnets for the 6x9's clear the transverse springs in the trunk. Also, there is another post here (dave I think) who swapped out for JBL's. I listened to both and speakers are a matter of taste. The JBL's were really good too!!! The bottom line here is that truly significant performance and quality improvements can be attained with a simple speaker upgrade. Oh, I agree with Dave in that subs may not be needed depending on your tastes in music, and you neighbor's tastes as well. Enjoy!!!
That's awesome! I am glad to hear you went for it and made the choice to upgrade the stock speakers! A few years ago, I would have been all hyped up to rebuild my car with amps and subs and all of that, but quite frankly, for my tastes these days, upgrading the stock speakers was perfect!

I was the one who used the JBL's as you noted... I have a question for you about the door speakers...did you need to use or fabricate any spacers to keep the magnets from touching the glass? I wound up using the spacer that came with the JBL's (for the doors) and it just barely cleared the front door windows by about 1/4 inch.

If you have some time, could you post pics.... I will post some by the end of the week for everyone also! Good job!

dave2music
Old 01-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by 97AcuraCL
i so want to do this... problem is i like my stereo to be loud... i like the output of the stock speakers in terms of volume... i drive with my windows down alot (live in fL) and my stereo is normally at 35 or so and i'm loving the loudness... but I' dont like the quality... do you think replacing the speakers alone would solve this problem and still have it sound just as loud? (or at least as loud as the 35 on stock speakers?) Bottom line is i dont need it to be louder... i just need it to be JUST AS LOUD as stock... but clearer... and better sounding.... would u recommend going your route for my needs?
Absolutely!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by tinyau01
If I upgrade the front and rear to a Type R or just upgrade and front and leave the rear 6X9 stock (problem with budget, 1 Type R component = Type S front and rear). Will it sound better than the Type S and will the stock amplifier has enough power? I just want clearer sound, don't need to be loud.
The amp will definitely drive the Type R's; however,, the efficiency of the Type R's is not as high...only 88db spl i think...so volume will not be as great.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:08 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by horsetrdr
What impedance were the original speakers? Is it printed on the magnet? If the new speakers are significantly higher impedance, that may explain the lower volume, despite the high sensitivity specs. Many OEM speakers nowadays use low impedance speakers (1~2 ohms) because they need less power to get loud.
Actually, the lower the impedence...the more power is needed and amplifier stability is more difficult to attain. The impedence is not printed on the stock 6.5's but it is on the 6x9's in the rear deck (4ohms), so I assumed they are all 4 ohm.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by dave2music
That's awesome! I am glad to hear you went for it and made the choice to upgrade the stock speakers! A few years ago, I would have been all hyped up to rebuild my car with amps and subs and all of that, but quite frankly, for my tastes these days, upgrading the stock speakers was perfect!

I was the one who used the JBL's as you noted... I have a question for you about the door speakers...did you need to use or fabricate any spacers to keep the magnets from touching the glass? I wound up using the spacer that came with the JBL's (for the doors) and it just barely cleared the front door windows by about 1/4 inch.

If you have some time, could you post pics.... I will post some by the end of the week for everyone also! Good job!

dave2music
Used the adapter that came with the alpines no problems with spacing. No pics at all..sorry. I posted a link to the speakers themselves and there are plenty of pics of the door panels off in the sticky in this forum. I really liked the JBL's too, but I think the mounting depth for the Alpine Type S is lower. The JBL's do go a bit lower at the bottom, but...30Hz Vs. 25Hz when you really look at the curve (it is down almost 20db at that level) is unlikely to be noticed. Like you, these days this was a "good enough " upgrade for me. I actually have two four channel Alpine amps from a previous life but just can't get myself motivated to install them. I guess that is the strongest testiment to how good the sound is now. Maybe someday.

Oh..and one other thing....since installing the Type S's...I have not hear the infamous door rattles anymore. I honestly believe that the OEM speakers were so cheaply made that they vibrated the door needlessly...just a guess, but, I would love to know if anyone else who has done the speaker upgrade has noticed the elimination of the door rattles.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:53 PM

Absolutely!!!
did you use components for the front? or just replacement 6.5s? waht about the rear? components? or just the speaker?
Old 01-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Instructor

I just want to have better mid and high, so I think the Type R component will be better than the TypeS 6.5.
I don't really have a budget, just don't want to put that much money on the speakers.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by tinyau01
I just want to have better mid and high, so I think the Type R component will be better than the TypeS 6.5.
I don't really have a budget, just don't want to put that much money on the speakers.
The Type S is less expensive than the Type R's. To my ear, the type R's are a bit smoother in the upper end, but, I too did not want to invest a lot in a simple speaker upgrade. When listening to the Type R's, I think they really come to life with better amplification than the stock head amp has...but still sound ok. The Type S sounds better to my ear with the stock unit level of amplification. There is about 4db spl difference in efficiency between the Type R's and Type S's. Every 3db gained in efficiency in a speaker halfs the power required to achieve the same volume. For example, take two speakers: speaker A has an efficiency rating of 89db SPL and speaker B has a rating of 92db SPL. Speaker A would require twice as much power as speaker B to achieve the same output level. Every 3db increase in efficiency halves the power requirement.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:21 PM
Instructor

Do you mean TypeS would sound better than TypeR for the stock amp?
But there's no TypeS tweeter available. Will upgrading just a 6.5TypeS improve the high frequency?
Pioneer or JBL is my other choice, but they're a lot more expensive than Alpine.
Anyways, if I only want to upgrade the speakers and leave the HU and amp stock. What brand and models would u suggest (assume unlimited budget. Focus on mid and high)?
Old 01-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Burning Brakes

well if u didnt want to get an amp then maybe get some CDT cl-6x. they are only 45 dollars. i heard they are pretty good as well.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Instructor

Just found this web. Almost half price for everything.
http://www.thezeb.com/index.html
Old 01-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Can't wait to drive

i have installed the Type-Rs instead of Type-S. I have Type-S for the rear deck.

Pro and cons of Type-R (compared with Type-S)

Pros
Very good treble

Cons
Difficult installation in TSX (door cutting and spacers needed)
Price
Old 01-23-2004, 04:30 PM
Future Seminole

hey, i just went out today and put in Alpine Type-S 6x9s... i love them! they clean up the bass a great deal... took me a while to install cause ive never done it, but after i figured out the first one, it was no sweat. maybe when i get more cash ill change the door speakers.. right now im gonna enjoy my 6x9s!
Old 01-23-2004, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Arcticcl9
i have installed the Type-Rs instead of Type-S. I have Type-S for the rear deck.

Pro and cons of Type-R (compared with Type-S)

Pros
Very good treble

Cons
Difficult installation in TSX (door cutting and spacers needed)
Price
Yep. The type R's are much deeper. I do think they sound better though. Tell me, does the stock amp seem to drive them ok? I am really amazed at the sound I am getting from the Type S's...they really sound much better in the car than in the store.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by acuratsx03
hey, i just went out today and put in Alpine Type-S 6x9s... i love them! they clean up the bass a great deal... took me a while to install cause ive never done it, but after i figured out the first one, it was no sweat. maybe when i get more cash ill change the door speakers.. right now im gonna enjoy my 6x9s!
Yes indeed. The bass it rather impressive now with mine too. I am glad you did it too!!! A really major improvement in the low end. A truly underated speaker IMHO. Enjoy, and you will be amazed at the clarity of the Type S's in the doors when you get to that.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Future Seminole

yeah, i cant wait to get those, its really only now that i can tell the difference between the stock speakers, cant imagine how much cleaner it sounds with the doors... cant wait!
Old 01-23-2004, 10:23 PM
Can't wait to drive

Yep. The type R's are much deeper. I do think they sound better though. Tell me, does the stock amp seem to drive them ok? I am really amazed at the sound I am getting from the Type S's...they really sound much better in the car than in the store.
The stock amp drives them just fine. The speakers get pretty loud too, I have to keep the volume level below 20 (17 is optimal usually). They do have very gigantic magnets. I think they are capable of handling more though, so I might get an amp in the future. I haven't compared the Type-R and Type-S sounds, but I think there is a difference. But i don't think the difference is as big as going from stock to Type-S.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:19 AM
Banned

Re: Alpine Type S Speaker Upgrade

Well I finally did it!!! I replaced the four door speakers and rear deck speakers leaving the factory head and amp. I replaced the four door speakers with Alpine SPS-170A (35Hz-30KHz, 92db sensitivity) and the rears with Alpine SPS-690A (30Hz-30KHz, 92db sensitivity). To say that the sound is vastly improved is an understatement to say the least. Amazing improvement. The volume control must be turned up higher to achieve the same output volume, but, fully cranked...no distortion and actually quite loud.

It is a shame that the tweeters are not used in the rear deck with the new Alpine 6x9's due to the amps crossover; however, the bass is now deep and tight and I notice the rearview mirror really shakes at higher volumes with a program with decent bass content.

Because someone may ask, I used to listen to the stereo with the volume set around 15-20 for just casual listening. To achieve the same volume now requires a volume setting of 23-30. It is important to not that full volume is quite loud with the Alpines and quite clear with no audible clipping from the factory amp flat out (something I could not do with the stck speakers).

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Alpines as a good match to the factory amp and headunit. Even the FM seems much better.
I had Circuit City install the same Alpines as yours. What an amazing improvement! I had no idea a car's sound system could sound this good. CD's especially sound better.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:53 AM
Instructor

The stock amp drives them just fine. The speakers get pretty loud too, I have to keep the volume level below 20 (17 is optimal usually). They do have very gigantic magnets. I think they are capable of handling more though, so I might get an amp in the future. I haven't compared the Type-R and Type-S sounds, but I think there is a difference. But i don't think the difference is as big as going from stock to Type-S.
Th volume you are getting surprises me...the type ares are rated at 89db SPL and the S's are 92db SPL (more efficient at the same power). With mine, to achieve the volume level of 15 with the stock speakers now requires 20 -22....but presence is much better and bass much deeper. I wonder if there is a gain setting on the factory amp that is out of whack on mine? I can turn mine up to 40 (flat out) loud and clean and clear...no distortion regardless of program (rap, jazz, rock, etc).
Old 01-24-2004, 12:56 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: Alpine Type S Speaker Upgrade

Originally posted by Iceman
I had Circuit City install the same Alpines as yours. What an amazing improvement! I had no idea a car's sound system could sound this good. CD's especially sound better.
Th Iceman cometh!!!...yes it truly is amazing...I am now wanting to install an amp I have laying around...lol...just don't know if I will ever get around to doing it.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:29 AM
Can't wait to drive

Th volume you are getting surprises me...the type ares are rated at 89db SPL and the S's are 92db SPL (more efficient at the same power). With mine, to achieve the volume level of 15 with the stock speakers now requires 20 -22....but presence is much better and bass much deeper. I wonder if there is a gain setting on the factory amp that is out of whack on mine? I can turn mine up to 40 (flat out) loud and clean and clear...no distortion regardless of program (rap, jazz, rock, etc).
Do you still have the box for the Type-S 2-ways? There is a frequency response curve on that, you can compare it to the Type Rs. I have pics of them in my picture gallery.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:25 AM
Instructor

Do you still have the box for the Type-S 2-ways? There is a frequency response curve on that, you can compare it to the Type Rs. I have pics of them in my picture gallery.
Type S 6.5's 35Hz-30KHz Sensitivity 92db
Type S 6x9's 30Hz-30Khz Sensitivity 92db

This is wider and higher than the Type R's Curves are very similar with the Type S being a bit more extended at the bass and High end than the Type R
Old 01-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Future Seminole

just curious... did circuit city install yours for free, i heard they did free installations, but they told me it would cost 32$, i said screw it and did it myself. if i got the doors iwoulda had them do it, but i figured the 6x9s were easy to do.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Banned

They do "free" speaker installations, but they charge you for every little piece of plastic and wire that's not in the box. I thought it was worth it though. They did a nice custom job on my Sirius tuner.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:56 PM

NEVER EVER EVER TAKE UR CAR TO A CIRCUIT CITY OR A BEST BUY TO GET AN INSTALL DONE..... NEVER!
Old 01-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

why? cuz its a rip off?
Old 01-26-2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by accsueprstar
why? cuz its a rip off?
well yea but beacuse they do SHITTY work... i've had several friends that work both at both places and theyv'e warned me time and time again; they just do half ass work. most people wouldn't notice beause it will still work; but its for the most part for most locatoins a buncha half ass work.

btw I just ordered

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3074197641

2 Pairs of Type S 6.5's. I've already got a 12" Type R Sub.

and if ya look at my other post you'll see the screen and dvd player i also ordered.... plus I got a 36sq ft bulk pack of Xtreme Dynamat.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:28 PM
Future Seminole

yeah, i was thinking about buying the rest of my spekaers off ebay... im a little bit suspicious about one seller's $49.95 buy it now offer for the 6.5s... anyone had any experience with buying speakers from ebay?? would you recommend it or should i just shell out the 100 for me, or was it 110...
Old 01-26-2004, 07:01 PM

well i've purchased speakers off of e-bay before for my CL and i'm doing it again now for the TSX; i just ordered the Type-S's (see above) so I'll let ya know of my experience (i just ordered today so i guess so far so good)
Old 01-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Future Seminole

arite thanx, the prices on ebay are naturally gonna be cheaper, and if the seller says never been opened id wonder why theyre half price... but let me know how it goes and who you got them from, im interested in completing my upgrade

also, when i upgrade all the speakers would it be necessary or suggested to get an amp to get more out of them?
Old 01-26-2004, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by acuratsx03
arite thanx, the prices on ebay are naturally gonna be cheaper, and if the seller says never been opened id wonder why theyre half price... but let me know how it goes and who you got them from, im interested in completing my upgrade

also, when i upgrade all the speakers would it be necessary or suggested to get an amp to get more out of them?
well i'm not planning on adding an amp for the speakers; just for the sub in the trunk.... the recommendation seems that they're fine to run off stock amp.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:52 AM
Can't wait to drive

The Alpine speakers are fine with the stock amp. I am going the same route. I am getting a 4-ch amp to power the rear deck speakers and add a sub later. I should be getting the amp in a week. If the sound is good, I'll keep it that way, and not amplify the door speakers.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:24 AM
Instructor

The Alpine speakers are fine with the stock amp. I am going the same route. I am getting a 4-ch amp to power the rear deck speakers and add a sub later. I should be getting the amp in a week. If the sound is good, I'll keep it that way, and not amplify the door speakers.
I am now considering installing an Alpine 3555 (50 watts x 4 RMS) that I have laying around. I am thinking of this scenario. This amp supports simultaneous Stereo and Bridged outputs off of each channel and is stable with a 2 ohm load. Here is what I am thinking...please...anyone jump in at any time....

connecting the Alpine type S 6x9's and 6.5's in the rear doors in parallel (2 ohms) and running full range signal to them from the rear channels of the amp.

Running the front 6.5's with crossover at 100Hz from the front side of the amp and then run a bridged connection below 100Hz to a JL Audio sub that I also alread have.

Leaving the stock amp to power the tweeters in the dash.

Has anyone here who has replaced all of the speakers (Dave?) sat in the back and actuall listened to how much is already coming off the rear deck? Amazing!!!...I am considering the above scenario primarily so that I can fade to the front speakers and still have good sound so as to not blow out my rear passengers.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:48 AM

I was gonna just disconnect and do away with the 6x9s because they only receive lows dont they? And I've got an Alpine Type-R 12" Sub that I'm gonna power with a mono MTX Amp to drop in the trunk for my lows.

Now if I'm wrong about the rear deck speakers being used just for lows... Would it be possible to get like a set of Alpine- Type S 6x9s' and a 4 channel amp to power all the door speakers and the 6x9s? What about from the stock amp.... can I use the stock Amp to power all my Type-S door speakers and the Type-S 6x9s or will that be asking too much of just the stock amp? So if I did decide to add some Type-S 6x9s to the Type S door speaker set up I've got... can I use a decent 4 channel amp to power just the interior speakers? (keep in mind that I'll have that 12" Type-R Sub in the trunk off its own mono amp for PLENTY of bass)

Quick Reply: Alpine Type S Speaker Upgrade